You heard us Mother Nature. We've never been more excited for yard-work, wasp-stings, dandelions and thunderstorms. Bring on the 4 am bird-choir and crickets chirping in the night. We'll take it all... because with these signs of Spring comes the kind of road rambling, garage sale-ing, flea market-ing freedom we've been craving. We are feeling Footloose and Fancy FLEA, people!!! Can we get an AMEN?!?!
Just so happens we're kicking off FLEA MARKET season with a sweet sale this weekend, May 3rd and 4th. YAY! It's the Kicks on 66 Sale - and we'll be cruising 90 miles of Route 66, stopping at Flea Markets from Joliet, IL to Towanda, IL. For more information about this sale, visit the KICKS ON 66 SALE website. Follow us on Facebook and/or Twitter because we'll be posting treasures as they're discovered! If you see something you like, let us know, and we will be happy to reserve it for you.
Also, don't miss Urban Farmgirl's Main Street Market, next weekend, May 10th in Rockford, IL. This market is loaded with vintage and pretty things from over 50 vendors. We're so excited to see what they have in store!
Flea Markets are heaps of fun and a super opportunity to find those one-of-a-kind treasures that bring character to your home or space. Remember, you don't have to have a vintage "themed" room or space to bring in a few vintage pieces or artifacts. Forget about a one-toned look that feels old and one-dimensional... Collected style is about blending the old with the new to add character and interest to your space - and to help tell your story.
Whether you're new to Fleas or an experienced Flea Marketer here are 7 TIPS for making the most of your Flea Market experience:
1. Arrive early, stay late. It's true, the early bird gets the worm - but bargains are often found at the end of the day.
2. Be prepared with necessities.
- Bring your tape measure - and know the measurements of spaces you're trying to fill.
- Bring a rolling cart or sturdy over-the-shoulder bag for hauling your wares.
- Pack an umbrella (this usually guarantees sunshine!).
- Charge that smart phone! You may need it to look up comparable prices or brand names of larger vintage pieces you're considering. Plus use it to take pics, store measurements, etc.
3. Cash is king. Cash offer gets the best deals so make sure you have plenty.
4. Make an offer. Always ask the vendor for their best price but know that cash offers and bundled offers (purchasing more than one item from that vendor) usually yield better deals.
5. Every piece has a story. Ask the vendor about the item(s) you're buying. Know where it came from, how it was used, etc - this is the fun part about collecting treasures!
6. Inspect your items before buying. Check table legs for sturdiness, make sure lamps work, etc. There are no returns once you get your item home...
7. Use your imagination. Remember that a gorgeous piece of furniture might be hiding behind mistreated exterior. If she has good lines and great bones, rescue her! A can of paint works wonders.
Gosh. Spring... flea markets... garage sales? Sigh. Our tails are reaaaally wagging, now.
Remember to post your fabulous flea market finds on our Facebook Page! We can't wait to see what you find.