There are a katrillion reasons we love playing with accessories. A few key accessories can deliver instant, style and interest, transforming a tired room into a fresh, of-the-moment space. Because they generally don't (have to) require a huge financial commitment, they give us a safe place to nod at trends and play with color, pattern and texture. This is good news for us fickle decorating types.
At the moment, we're loving Glam. We're not talking about fussy, over-the-top, Lady Gaga GLAM. We're talking comfortable, everyday glam... special, but not overdone. A little here, a little there. The idea is to make your room twinkle, with little bits of shiny embellishments.
So what if you're not the "decorating type" but your home desperately needs a little flair? Gotcha covered. Today we're sharing a few of our favorite GLAM accessories so you can go a little GLAM too...
- Mirrors. Mirrors provide instant glam and are brilliant for reflecting light and creating size and space illusions. Look for mirrors in interesting shapes, sizes and finishes. Try a collage of several small mirrors to make a statement. Think beyond the wall. Mirrors can double as a great table-top trays or as a backdrop on a shelf.
2. Lamps and Lighting. Lighting is the key to creating ambiance and giving your home a warm, cozy feel, but also functions as the perfect GLAMMY accessory. Look for lamps with crystal or mercury glass bases...and chandeliers with crystals. Think beyond plugged-in fixtures, too. Lanterns and candles make great accessories - and there are endless varieties, shapes and sizes. Plus, everybody looks good in candlelight. Just saying.
3. Mercury Glass. Mercury glass (or silvered glass) was once called poor man's silver, but today it's one of the hottest trends in home decor. Whether you shop at Horchow or HomeGoods, you'll see mercury glass shining on the shelves in many forms. Look for mercury glass vases, lamps, urns or candlesticks.
If you're a DIYer (or even if you're not), you can easily make your own Mercury Glass.. Here's a link to a fantastic Faux Mercury Glass Tutorial. Really, it's easy. Just don't try to use anything other than the Krylon Looking Glass Paint...it won't work.
4. Metallic Throw Pillows. Pillows truly warrant their own post (note to self), but since we're talking glam, we'll (try) to stay focused. Let's be honest... a metallic or sequined pillow does not exactly scream "come lounge with me" - or "put your head here." But that's not the purpose of a sparkly pillow, plus, pillows don't talk, silly. She's simply there to shimmer and shine. Look for pillows with metallic weaves or beading. One or two will do the trick when mixed with a few other softer, lux fabrics.
5. Bottles and Decanters. Obsessed with these. Crystal, mercury glass or recycled wine bottles. Gorgeous in a grouping or on a tray. We've scored a few crystal decanters while thrifting here and there but we've had the most fun decorating our own bottles.
Everybody needs a little GLAM...and even though we're only six months old, we know what we're talking about.
Now, go grab yourself some sparkle, Collected Society.