Thursday, May 22, 2014

Thrifty Thursday: Planter Revival

Hey Y'all! It's Thrifty Thursday!

I have been dying to try that out. Y'all that is. I have a serious case of Southern accent envy. I have my own special blend of Tennessee-Texas-Louisiana-Yankee speak and when I pull it out -  it drives my family plum crazy. I reckon if I don't stop, they're gonna give me a swift-kick-boot in the ree-ah.  Bein' it's Thrifty Thursday, I best be gittin' down to business and sharin' some thrifty pie with y'all. Okaaaaaay.  I'll stop.

About four years ago, the search to find two perfect planters for my entryway finally came to an end. It was a lengthy search that was beginning to seem impossible.  But then...one day...I spotted them at Costco.  It was love at first sight - and the price was right.

This is what they looked like in their hay day...tall dark and handsome.


After a few years of weathering hot summers, plenty of watering and BEYOND FRIGID winter temperatures (yep, I'm still bitter), they looked like this...


The paint was peeling and losing it's luster. They had seen better days and were starting to shame everyone around them. But, I remembered when we first met...that perfect moment when I knew my search was over...  I just couldn't let them go.  Plus, buying new planters was not in the budget. So, I got thrifty, and went to work.

First, I shuffled on over to Home Depot for some Rustoleum Flat Gray Primer and Metallic Oil Rubbed Bronze.


I'm not always a rule follower and sometimes skip the priming step.  But since these are for outdoor use and have to stand up to the elements, I decided to do it right. After a light sanding to smooth the peeling paint, I applied one coat of primer.  Then, they looked like this...

After letting the primer dry (about 30 minutes), I moved on to fun part. I let the Oil Rubbed Bronze loose on these babies and they started to perk up instantly. Two coats later, they were looking migh-ty fine. Handsome as ever and ready to take on the ladies.



For less than $12, these planters have a new lease on life and the ladies seem very happy... all tucked in and ready to grow.

Now, this Yankee is fixin' to find a few more things that need a little love and oil rubbed bronze. Might I suggest you do the same.... 

Happy Thrifty Thursday, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment